Remarks of Ambassador Ordway, chargé d’affaires a.i. at the press conference with the Deputy Procurator General of the Republic of Kazakhstan on December 20, 2013
December 20, 2013
Remarks of Ambassador Ordway, chargé d’affaires a.i.
at the press conference with the Deputy Procurator General
of the Republic of Kazakhstan on December 20, 2013
In a December 20th press conference with Deputy Prosecutor General of the Republic of Kazakhstan Andrey Kravchenko, Ambassador John Ordway, chargé d’affaires a.i., made the following remarks:
• I am here today to mark the end of a long and complex investigation that began on February 11, 2006 with the brutal murders of Altynbek Sarsenbayev, Baurzhan Baibosyn, and Vasiliy Zhuravlev.
• I also wish to note the exceptional cooperation between Kazakhstani and American law enforcement.
• Throughout this reinvestigation, the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation had excellent access to all case records.
• This included not only unfettered access to independently examine evidence and records, but also American polygraph examinations of witnesses conducted independently of Kazakhstani authorities.
• The steps taken by the American FBI assisting in this investigation led to results consistent with the findings of the Procurator General of Kazakhstan.
• I had met and known Altynbek Sarsenbayev, and I am extremely pleased that this investigation is complete.
• I hope the results of this reinvestigation will finally give some peace to the families of those murdered.
Additional information including statements by Deputy Prosecutor General Kravchenko can be found at:
# # #