Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passport Services

State-of-the-Art Passports

All non-emergency passports are processed in the United States to incorporate a photo-digitized image and other enhanced security features. We accept passport applications and forward them electronically to the United States for printing.  Processing time averages two weeks but may be slightly higher in some cases, so we urge everyone to renew passports several months before the expiration date.

The U.S. Embassy in Astana and U.S. Consulate General in Almaty issue emergency passports within 24 hours. However, these emergency passports are limited in validity and cannot be extended. These limited passports have to be exchanged for full-validity passports at the completion of the emergency travel.

Make appointment for Passport Services

 Passports for Children under age 16 

In general, both parents and the child need to appear in person to apply for a first or renewal passport and bring:

  • DS-11 Application Form (PDF, 84KB)
  • One 2-inch x 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) professional quality color photo taken on a white background
  • The child's birth certificate
  • The child's expiring passport
  • Both parents' passports
  • The $105 application fee

Note: We will not keep the originals of your passports/birth certificates - they'll be given back to you right after the interview.

If you are applying for your child's first passport, also see Birth Registration.    

Replacing an expired or soon-to-expire adult passport

In general, you will need to bring:

  •  DS-82 application form (PDF 970K).
  • One 2-inch x 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) professional quality color photo taken on a white background
  • Your most recent U.S. passport
  • The $110 application fee

Note: We will not keep the original of your passport. It will be given back to you right after being reviewed by the Consular Officer.

If your most recent passport was issued when you were 15 or under, you will need to complete the DS-11 application form (PDF 745K) instead of the DS-82 (PDF 970K). The fee for the service will be $135.00.

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport

If your most recent passport is missing or badly damaged, you will need to bring the following when you apply:

  • DS-11 (PDF 745K) 
  • One 2-inch x 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) professional quality color photo taken on a white background
  • A completed DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (PDF, 40KB) 
  • The $135 application fee
  • You should also bring any documents you have which show your identity and/or U.S. citizenship, such as a driver's license or other photo ID, a birth certificate or a naturalization certificate. The Embassy has computer records that may help determine your eligibility for a U.S. passport, but it is the responsibility of each applicant to prove his or her identity and citizenship. If replacing a stolen passport, you may be asked to provide a police report.If you are replacing a minor (under 16) passport, please note the two-parent consent requirements.

Additional passport pages

You will need to bring:

The process takes about 30 minutes.

Please note that you can only add two sets of visa page inserts to a passport; after these pages are full it will be necessary to apply for a new passport. 

Name Changes and Other Amendments

As a security enhancement, we no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.  If the change is within one year after issuance, they will submit a U.S. Passport Re-Application Form (DS 5504) (PDF 835K) together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new passport pictures. There will be no charge.  If the change is more than one year after issuance, customers will need to submit an application for a new passport and pay the normal fees.

Consular Fees to Change 

Useful Information