Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Birth Registration

Registering a Birth

A child born to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. Parents should make an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit as soon as possible after the birth to file a "Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen" (CRBA). In general, the child and either parent must be physically present to apply for the CRBA. However, if you decide to apply for a U.S. passport at the same time presence of both parents is required (see Passport Services for more information)

Usually, in order to establish the child's citizenship under the appropriate provisions of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted:

  • Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    Form DS-2029 (PDF 286kb)
  • An official record of the child's foreign birth;
  • Evidence of the parent(s)' U.S. citizenship (e.g., a certified birth certificate, current U.S. passport, or Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship);
  • Evidence of the parents' marriage, if applicable; and
  • Affidavits of parent(s)' residence and physical presence in the United States (PDF 4MB). Do not sign it!).

    Note: All documents in other languages rather than English should be translated into English and notarized.

In certain cases it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including affidavits of paternity and support, divorce decrees from prior marriages, or medical reports of blood compatibility. Currently, the service fee for a Consular Report of Birth is $100.

The Report of Birth Abroad, also known as an FS-240, is acceptable as proof of birth and U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

Please make an appointment before you visit the Consular Section.

  • Astana                                               
  • Almaty